Steve,
Yes, there is an SSIS template file that you can modify to use as the basis
of all new SSIS files. The setting in question comes from the default
template (which is an XML file). This works for most of the file choices
that you see when creating a new file inside of Visual Studio. The template
files are inside of the Visual Studio folder on a user's hard drive.

As far as sharing templates across a group and keeping all of them is sync,
that is a different problem, as the templates are located in folders on each
developer's workstation.

Search for "SSIS Package Template"

You shouldn't have to delete the package and start over again based on that
encryption setting. Just have the package creator open the package, change
the setting, and resave it.

-Mike Chabot

http://www.linkedin.com/in/chabot