Our tools.

Paymo.biz or time tracking and task management.
Google Apps for internal communication and tracking project related emails
(using ActiveInbox) and document sharing.
There is a paymo plugin for Gmail that allows you to turn emails into tasks.
projectlocker.com for source control
Kayako SupportSuite for communicating with clients. We use the ticketID as
reference in the Paymo tasks

so far has worked well working with teams and external suppliers,
contractors.

Russ