Ok for all of those following this thread, we resolved our hanging instance
problem!

It was an Efflare imageCR3 service (an image tag alternative to cfimage), that
was getting hung. As a result, it caused any pages that called the tag to hang.
Restarting that service solved the problem.

Why it hangs, I have no idea, but we are now restarting that service every 4
hours (it takes 5 secs). We will retire that tag at some point, but for now
hopefully the restart will keep it fresh and prevent the hangups.

That makes total sense as to why we had to reboot the server to prevent the
instances from hanging (restarting the two instances didn't help, nor
restarting IIS). Made sense that all other domain instances were working well
as they don't relay on the tag. Had we known that the Efflare tag was the
culprit, we could have prevented all those server reboots. Thanks for
everyone's help. I learned a lot!