> My backup ColdFusion Standard server, which runs on 32-bit Windows 2003, just
> started throwing 500 errors with the following stacktrace displayed:
>
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>        at
> jrun.servlet.JRunRequestDispatcher.invoke(JRunRequestDispatcher.java:285)
>        at
> jrun.servlet.ServletEngineService.dispatch(ServletEngineService.java:543)
>        at
> jrun.servlet.jrpp.JRunProxyService.invokeRunnable(JRunProxyService.java:203)
>        at
> jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$DownstreamMetrics.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:320)
>        at
> jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$ThreadThrottle.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:428)
>        at
> jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$UpstreamMetrics.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:266)
>        at jrunx.scheduler.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread.java:66)
>
> Not only does this show on all of my websites hosted on this box, but it also
> shows in CF Administrator.  ColdFusion runs as a Windows service.
> This box ran fine until a reboot today (accumulated Windows updates
> necessitated a reboot, as well as installation of .Net framework 3.5).
>
> The weird thing is that if I start ColdFusion from the command prompt (using
> the cfstart.bat file), everything works fine and I get no 500 errors.

If it runs fine as an application started using your Windows account,
but doesn't start as a service using a generic security context (Local
System, Network System, etc) or a specific user account, maybe the
problem is with the user account. Try running the service using your
account to see if that works. If it does, create a user account just
for CF, make sure it works as an application, and use that to run the
service.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/