The chances of bricking the router are pretty low. You'd pretty much have to
lose power in the middle of the actual flash (doesn't mean it has never
happened). I've installed DD-WRT on just about every linksys router I've had
(including two WRT54GL routers). Currently, I'm running it on a WRT610N.

Installing DD-WRT is the first thing I do to a new Cisco/Linksys home router
when I take it out of the box. I think you'll much prefer the control it
gives you over your equipment.

Another option is to throw together a cheap linux box and install a
firewall/router distro like ipcop, ipfire, brazilfw.. (and many others). You
could also run a normal distro and use something like firewall builder to
make it a firewall/router.

The benefit of moving up to a linux distro from DD-WRT is even more control
and the ability to install many different packages (like a proxy server)

ipfire is an iptables based firewall distro (forked from ipcop and debian
based)... it has a TON of addons all tested and ready to be installed right
from the web interface.

Add-ons list: http://wiki.ipfire.org/en/addons/start

these distros are tiny and typically run on anything you have laying around.
Some of them are small enough to fit on a single floppy disk and run
entirely from RAM.

So that's my linux firewall spiel.

Cheers

Bobby Hartsfield