Ok i have it figured out ...  i can convert images to base64 strings,
 which gives me a string I can manipulate using simple 'eq' operators.

So using a scheduled task, every 5 minutes, I take the current cabcam.jpg
(thats the name of the file that's displayed on the web page)  and convert
it to base64 using the function ImageWriteBase64() .     That string, I
compare to the one I did 5 minutes ago.     If they're different, all's
well and good, so do nothing, except save the base64 string to use in 5
minutes' time.

If the base64 strings are the same, we have a winner!    Send me an email
with all the details and I know within 5 minutes when the thing went
haywire.

Now all i have to do is write the functionality so it doesnt keep sending
me emails every 5 minutes after that.

Thanks for your help everyone.  I have a little bit of tweaking to get
round a couple more  hiccups, but i have the basis of the method I can use.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion 9 Enterprise, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month