You can wrap any user input in xmlformat() to rid yourself of any special
characters.  I would use that around the function that sends the stuff to
your security software.

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Quackenbush [mailto:quackfu...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 3:46 PM
To: cf-talk
Subject: Re: Santizing User Input

That VB script just uses a regular expression (already written for you).
All you need to do is use it in conjunction with ColdFusion's built-in
`reFind()` or `reFindNoCase()` functions.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusion/9.0/CFMLRef/WSc3ff6d0ea77859461172e08
11cbec22c24-7e9a.html
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusion/9.0/CFMLRef/WSc3ff6d0ea77859461172e08
11cbec22c24-7e99.html

So, something like so:

if ( reFind( "^[\w\.:\?&=/]*$" , myString ) ) {
    // oops, they failed... handle appropriately }

HTH