Hello group,

I am working with an SEO person on making some refinements to our sites.  We
get over 1.5 million pages views/mo.  My SEO guy noticed that there were
several valid ways to access a detail or results listing page through similar
combinations of the URL.  Some had upper case instances, some were all lower
case, and others had a trailing bit on the end to make it look like a static
page.  This created up to 4 combinations of URL that all displayed the exact
same set of data, not to mention the fact of the "www" vs. non "www" issue.  I
implemented a canonical redirect to make sure all pages went to the properly
formatted (all lower case with static page append at the end) URL using a
permanently moved redirection header in CF.  This all seems to be working
correctly, but I have noticed that the site performance is suffering, and some
of the requests that should be redirected take longer than the should to
actually redirect.  I am using FR to monitor the requests, and this is why I
know that some of them seem to be taking to long.  In theory, they should only
take a few milliseconds to redirect, unless I am missing something.  Each cf
based redirect is followed by a cfexit tag, so the request should end right
there with the message to the browser.

All of the redirect logic is in a single page.  I have included a sample code
snippet below.

<cfif Session.EmploymentPartner.ID LT 1 and (LCase(LEFT(CGI.SERVER_NAME, 3))
NEQ "www" AND LCase(LEFT(CGI.SERVER_NAME, 4)) NEQ "beta" AND
LCase(Left(CGI.SERVER_NAME, 3)) NEQ "dev")>
        <cfset thePage="#CGI.SCRIPT_NAME#">
        <cfif thePage CONTAINS "index.cfm">
                <cfset thePage=thePage & "#lcase(CGI.PATH_INFO)#">
        </cfif>
        <cfheader statuscode="301" statustext="Moved permanently">
        <cfheader name="Location"
value="http://#subDomain#.#appdatasource#.com#thePage#";>
    <cfexit>
</cfif>

Any ideas on how to better optimize this solution for global implementation, or
whta may be causing the performance lag.

Thanks,
Brian Cain