> We're doing performance analysis and looking for bottlenecks ...

In that case, you want to test a single server only, at least to
start. You'll need to define user paths that are most likely to be
followed by users within the application, and define timers for each
step of the user path (where a step is a single user action that
triggers any server-side response). Then, you'll run a typical
performance analysis test (no pauses between requests) for a single
user, then scale up by some increment (say, 5 users) until the
application becomes unresponsive. The data you collect during this
process will primarily be response time data (for each timer). You can
then drop that data into a spreadsheet and chart the timer steps that
increase more than others, and those are your bottlenecks. If those
steps are themselves pretty complex, you can add CFTIMER tags within
your page to find out which part of the page is the slower part, as
well.

> ...  and also memory leaks since we have a lot of application scoped
> components and large numbers
> of objects created per request. That's one of my main concerns actually..

Well, that might require a different test, or at least might affect
the point at which the application becomes unresponsive as described
above. Proper performance analysis testing can really only happen once
you've removed functionality and operation bugs from your application,
and memory leaks would fall into that category. That said, it's
unlikely you'll run into true memory leaks with CF components - you
just might run out of memory, though.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.