We've certainly never done this as a permanent solution. Blocking IPs or
ranges at the firewall wouldn't do much under a heavy DDOS, by the time the
traffic is there it's probably saturating other parts of the hosts network.

Better avenue would be to null route the destination IP on the edge routers
and work with upstream providers to determine the source and have them
block and/or shutdown the source.  Null routing mitigates most of the
effect of the DDOS on the rest of your network.

Either way blocking at the firewall or null routing destinations would be
temporary until the upstream provider could deal with things.

I'd bet $1.50 that your host really doesn't understand mitigation or is
hosting in another providers data center and doesn't have access to the
core network gear.

Also sounds like maybe they've had other customers complain about spam from
specific IPs and did this as a quick fix.

Byron Mann
Lead Engineer and Architect
HostMySite.com