Yes, I am using CF for login security.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.  While I am considering the various
suggestions, I renamed the directory and removed the insecure page that had
links to the files (the client put this page up with he cms).  I then
changed all the links on the secure pages to the new directory name.  That
solves the problem now whileI  work out a more permanent solution.

Thanks again for the help.

-RR