On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Jamie Bowers <jamiembow...@netscape.net>wrote:

> Somewhat related, how do I determine that any hot-fix or security patch I
> may download and install is indeed installed?

Jamie, one thing I'd like to point out is that if your are using CF7 then
you have unpatched vulnerabilities on the server, CF7 has been End of Life
for a while and has not received any security updates in a couple years -
so even if your code is secured your server platform is likely not.

You will also need to make sure your JVM is patched, which again might be a
challenge since CF7 doesn't run on Java 1.6 (without appropriate JVM
patches an attacker can simply send a magic number to your server and cause
it to hang, among other possibilities).

To answer your question here about how do you know what patches are
installed: <plug>I created a service  http://hackmycf.com specifically for
that reason - you can scan your domain for free but we also offer paid
services that can find more details.</plug> You can also try using the
ColdFusion administrator to see what the update level is but that is not a
great solution, see
http://www.carehart.org/blog/client/index.cfm/2012/6/18/what_hotfixes_have_been_applied
for
more info.

Finally I also wanted to point out that XmlFormat is not a stopgap for XSS
either, for example if you have this:

<cfoutput>
  <script>
    var id = #XmlFormat(url.id)#;
  </script>
</cfoutput>

You are not at all protected from XSS - so XSS protection really depends on
where the variable is output, it could be in a tag, javascript, css, a url,
a tag attribute, all have their own encoding rules that must be applied to
properly prevent the attack.

Hope that helps.
--
Pete Freitag - Adobe Community Professional
http://foundeo.com/ - ColdFusion Consulting & Products