We do not enable this on our shared servers, although I wish we could.
Would be nice if this was maybe a sandbox option, so it could be done per
site.

I have noticed on our internal stuff that hosting files on a unc path,
sometimes acts like caching is on, but I think it is more windows causing
that issue.

Byron Mann
Lead Engineer & Architect
HostMySite.com