http://livedocs.adobe.com/coldfusion/8/htmldocs/help.html?content=functions
_m-r_07.html

"Gets the current date and time of the computer running the ColdFusion
server"

It doesn't get its time form the VPN, it gets its time from the host
machine running the CF service. Clock in the bottom right corner of
windows has the time that the CF server would use.

If, for some reason, you've hidden the clock, cmd.exe > echo %time%

Your windows timezone could be off or you don't have the option set to
adjust for daylight savings time.