It's the other way around. Windows will take whatever it decides it needs,
irrespective of anything else. Other settings need to fit around that.

So you basically need to say "whatever RAM I've got... 1GB (personally I
would have maybe gone for 1.5GB) of that is lost to Windows. I can do
something with the rest". So from there you can tell your JVM that it can
use 3GB (or 2.5GB) safely for its heap.

That said, I am hesitant to just give *all of it* over to the heap. You
should tune your heap to be the right size. There *is* overhead in locating
stuff in the heap, plus the bigger it is the longer GC takes, so there's a
bit of a balancing act there. You should try to allocate "the right amount"
not necessarily just "everything you can throw at it".

You will probably want to do some profiling to see how much Perm Gen space
you are best to allocate too. Although that's a bit of a dark art (and one
that I have not practised for years), so someone else is best to give you
guidance there. Or google google google... every man and his dog will have
different opinions on what one should do. Be warned though, because the way
CF deals with its class files - a CF application consists of really a lot
of them compared to a standard java app - make sure to look for
specifically *CF* JVM tuning guidance. Not just standard tuning for a Java
app.

--
Adam