I was going to post this on StackOverflow but felt that it might not be the
right type of question to ask there, so I shall post it here.

I am tasked to create a "payment form from a balance sheet".  I have a created
a balance sheet, which is basically an HTML table that has a row item detail of
that item.  In our case, each line is an event code and the total issues,
payments, returns and balance (issues minus payments minus returns) is on each
line.  Each HTML row is actually a form with a "More Info" submit button to
drilldown on that specific event code with details passed to that form as
hidden inputs.

I am looking to extend the functionality of this report by adding a new column,
"Pay amount" and, if the user has 75 to pay off of their balance, they can add
a number (let's say 50) and they can pay for 50.

Ideally, my train of thought is that the text field will do an AJAX submit to a
CFC where the value and eventcode will be posted to a session structure, and
once the user is done, the structure can be processed to do what it needs to.

Am I on the right track in this?  Is there a better way to do this?  I am
concerned about a couple things. 1) I don't want the user to have to press
"Save" or "Submit" after each entry.  There would be at least 100 row items
they would have to go through, it would a large wall of text, and am trying to
help them out with at least that aspect. 2) I would like the data to be "saved"
at least in the session scope. In case the user has to move to a different
page, the information they entered would still be there.  Ideally, I would like
to save the data and recall / fill in the values so that they can come back,
let's say the next day, and continue where they left off.  I have attached a
screen shot of the HTML table as viewed from the browser: <a
href="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6212377/sample.JPG";>https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6212377/sample.JPG</a>

Any resources or tutorials is greatly appreciated.