While the tempo of software releases in the industry has increased, it
has in many cases created a backlash.  IT departments are struggling to
keep up with installing updates to enterprise systems.  Look at
ColdFusion as an example.  How many organization have bothered to
upgrade to ColdFusion 10?  I upgraded my department's server to CF 10
pretty soon after it was released, but our IT department only recently
upgraded their CF server to CF 9 from CF 8 - and AFAIK they have no
plans to upgrade to CF 10. Surveys others have taken across the CF
community indicate very few organizations have upgraded to CF 10, and
many are still on CF 7 and CF 8.

Microsoft has significantly reduced the time between releases for SQL
Server.  Again, many organizations are way behind installing the new
releases.  I just upgraded my servers from SQL Server 2005 to 2008R2
within the past year, and 2012 was already available.  Our IT department
is still on SQL Server 2005, and I don't think they are planning on
upgrading to any of the more recent releases any time soon.  Again, I
think this is probably pretty typical of many organizations.

If ColdFusion was on an annual release cycle, how many organizations
would actually upgrade annually?

-Carl V.