Your understanding is correct, Matt, but I don't see how your
example is relevant.

In my application.cfc, I've got a line that sets an application variable:

<cfset application.siteShortDomain = "myShortDomain.com">

I need that application.siteShortdomain variable available when contact.cfc
runs.

So, how would I go about this?

(I just noticed what Brian and Russ added to the conversation,
and Russ is correct, as you can see from above, that I want to extend
the global application variables that I've set in application.cfc tp all
the other cfc's that are in a common library of cfc's above the website
root.

???

Thanks!

Rick