There is a filter that gets run on the_content (and the_excerpt), called
wpautop

https://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wpautop

it looks for 2 carriage returns in a row, and converts them to a <p>

You should be able to either add this to your output (it is actually a
pretty good idea ... I do it for all my cf cms content too), or just run a
cf script once to go fix them all in the db if you want to solve it once.

hth.
(I have a pretty good understanding of wp at this point, feel free to hit
me up with any questions if you need to)