> We have one process that consumes a LOT of RAM. (It parses a huge XML
> file.) It usually runs with no problem. Sometimes, it errors-out with a CF
> "out of Java heap space" error. Not most days...just sometimes.
>
> Last week, we added 2 GB of RAM to the server to bring the total up to 4 GB
> and I bumped up CF's min/max heap size from 1 GB to 1.4 GB.
>
> Since then, process in question has failed every day with "out of Java heap
> space" error...until I restart the CF server service and run the process
> right away after it restarts.

The heap is not one big undifferentiated bucket of storage. It
contains different sections, or generations, that are used to store
different scopes of variables. Simply increasing the overall heap may
not have any effect on the amount of storage for this variable. Do you
have specified sizes for the young and perm generations? If not, you
might want to set them.

All that said, you might also want to switch to SAX parsing if you're
working with extremely large XML files. SAX parsing is (in my opinion)
a lot more programming work, but it's designed to let you solve this
sort of problem.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
1-202-527-9569
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.