> I am wondering if many others have run into this issue. Basically, when we
> deploy certain "high volume" .cfm
> files (i.e. index.cfm), they are sometimes incorrectly compiled to java byte
> code.

How do you know this? What do you mean exactly by "incorrectly
compiled"? What version of CF are you running? What are the exact
error messages you're seeing?

> What I believe is happening is when several requests come in while ColdFusion
> is trying to compile the .cfm file
> to java byte code, the byte code gets created, but the process bombs out
> before it is able to complete successfully.
>
> Since CF in fact DID generate the byte code (albeit not correctly), on
> subsequent requests, CF "thinks" it already
> compiled the byte code successfully so it doesn't try to compile it on future
> requests. What we end up with is a .cfm
> file on the server with all the source code in place, and some incorrect byte
> code somewhere.

I've never seen this problem, even in many high-volume environments -
some of which had their own problems. And it doesn't really make
sense, given my (admittedly limited) knowledge of CF internals. So, I
kind of think this is unlikely. Something else is probably happening.

> In order to fix the problem, we need to deploy the file again (sometimes one
> or two more times) in order to "get lucky"
> in that when the high traffic file is hit, another request doesn't come in
> just then and interrupt the compilation process.
>
> Has anyone else come across this problem?
>
> Here is a related article:
> http://www.neiland.net/blog/article/compile-cfml-to-java-bytecode-plus-fusebox-fix/

That article isn't really related, although it could solve the problem
you describe. You can precompile CF code, then deploy that instead of
the source code. You could try doing this to solve your problem, but
again I don't think that's really the problem you're having.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
1-202-527-9569
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.