Thanks Bryan,

So it's like online payment. You need a gateway then a payment processor.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bryan Stevenson [mailto:br...@electricedgesystems.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 7:32 PM
To: cf-talk
Subject: Re: Sending SMS

Hey Rick,

I'd say the answer depends on your situation.

A big determining factor is what carrier are the folks on that you would be
sending to?  I ask because if only one carrier you can go low cost and failry
easy.

If multiple carriers, you may want to consider using an SMS aggregator as they
know how to connect and send SMS messages through all the various carrier
networks (for a fee per text message - those fees vary wildly depending on the
various APIs you have to choose from).  I use Clickatel for SMS aggregation
services in the state of Maryland and I think we are talking pennies per text
(you load account with credits and they get consumed - can notify as you get
low etc).

Once you have the carrier details sorted, then it's HOW you send (there is an
SMS gateway in CF, but you can also just call APIs with say Clickatel using
their HTTP API (one of 3-5 they offer). SOme APIs are meant fo super high
volume - some for low....some offer different feautures.

So there is a simple primer to aid in some core decision making - I'll keep an
eye on this thread - ask away! ;-)

Take care

-Bryan

*Bryan Stevenson*B.Comm.
President & CEO
Electric Edge Systems Group Inc. - makers of FACTS^(TM)
phone: 250.480.0642
cell: 250.920.8830
e-mail: br...@electricedgesystems.com <mailto:br...@electricedgesystems.com>
web: www.electricedgesystems.com <http://www.electricedgesystems.com>