I created another page ( that is not accessing the DB ) under the root
directory and was able to access this fine on the domain whilst the site was
still down..

It wasn't until I ran the application which is accessing the DB that we are
experiencing that site blowing up ( massive lag ).

So Coldfusion IS working, just not when its attempting to connect to the DB.

So seems to me that an overburdened MS SQL Express is reaching its limits OR
something in CF is being run incorrectly. But I tend to doubt the latter as the
application was fine under the previous CF 9 installation ( so I am told ).