Hi Folks

Robert details all the steps to keeping an email list "clean and valid".
Having done that in the past and for a list of 5000 addresses I would say it is
far better deal to go with one of the email newsletter companies. Having tried
several I can highly recommend mailchimp http://mailchimp.com/

 They offer several benefits.

1. They clean the bounced email and keep the list valid. (no programing to
write
and validate)

2. They have deals with ISPs to recognize their bulk email as legit. When I was
doing that privately it was a headache to stay on top of all the ISP's spam
protections and have my server continually validated. (And if you are on a
shared server forget it as you will be vulnerable to all the other user's bad
practices and reputation)

3. The time saving was well worth the $s

4. If you do decide to use a provider check their rules about establishing your
list. (some such as icontact will require you to do a new optin on your already
established list, and then they will block anyone who does not "re-optin".
Those
address could then never be resubsbcribed even by their owner.)

Rob
Robert J. Voyle, Psy.D.
Director, Clergy Leadership Institute
For Coaching and Training in Appreciative Inquiry
Author: Restoring Hope: Appreciative Strategies
            to Resolve Grief and Resentment
http://www.appreciativeway.com/
503-647-2378 or 503-647-2382