From: Cornillon, Matthieu [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2001 10:12 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: string to number

Steve,

As long as you keep your ranges as you have them in your If statements, the
following formula should yield the correct result.  I know this doesn't
address the question that you asked, but others have responded to that, and
I just couldn't help fiddling.  Hope you don't mind.

<CFSET Grp=("form.adult + form.children")>
<CFSET SmRmRq=0>

<!--- The \ in this formula is correct. --->
<CFSET SmRmRq=Iif(Grp LTE 28,(Grp-1)\4+1,8)>

Of course, this is harder to modify in the future, should one range change.
I'm also not sure whether it runs slower or faster.  I am still not sure
whether my obsession with physically compact code runs counter to good
programming sense.  I guess I should flip through a CS book!