I examined the file that was being written to the server by cffile *before*
it was sent via FTP and realized the extra white space was happening right
there.  Throwing in the attribute addnewline="no" fixed the problem.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Fields [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2001 11:16 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: CFFTP is adding extra white space in .txt file

I'm having a problem with updating files using CFFTP .  With cffile, first I
"read" the file and use the variable to populate a text area field so the
user can edit it.  When they submit the edited file, the action page writes
(overwrites) the old file and then FTP's it to the Unix server as a plain
text file.  The problem is, each time it gets edited and FTP'ed, I'm getting
extraneous paragraphs/white (when I show hidden I can see them).

As I typed this it has occurred to me that I should try forcing ASCII mode
instead of using auto. If that solves it, I'll post a follow up in case
anyone cares.  Otherwise, I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks!