From: Philip Arnold - ASP [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 31 January 2001 10:13
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Statistics on Toy R Us

> The point about CF is that it uses the approach of "Anything written in CF
> changes to whitespace when processed" as a default, instead of treating CF
> as a programming language and compiling etc (prepare to flame me...).
> That's what produces the whitespace.  This can of course be
> turned off, and
> can mean faster page loading.  The CFML processor is effectively only a
> parser (a fast one, but still a parser) so any other language
> that is parsed like this will produce similar output.

Just as a point on this - removing white-space only reduces the time that it
takes to send the template to the user - using CFSETTING a lot will actually
slow the server down (slightly)

It's therefore a payoff as to whether you want the pages to be built faster
or sent to the user faster - remembering that if you can turn more pages
around on the server, then you can serve more visitors - people are willing
to wait an extra second or so, but if you've got a busy site, then you've
got to weigh up which one you prefer...

You get what I mean :-/

Philip Arnold
Director