From: Debbie McDaniel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2001 1:33 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Server Running Low on Virtual Memory

Hi All,

For the past couple of months we have been getting a low virtual memory
error on our CF Server about every 10 days. The CF server software ran fine
until we moved it to Win2K and added .asp pages to the server as part of our
intranet (please don't ask why, but part of our intranet is written using CF
technology and the other part in written using  ASP technology, both running
session variables).

Here is the server's configuration:

        Win2K (no service pack)
        CF 4.5.1 SP1
        Max 728 MB Paging File
        PIII 800 with 256 MB Ram
        Plenty of harddrive space
        No Active Directory Service on Win2K

In addition to this, we access an Oracle database using native drivers for
the CF pages and ADO for the ASP pages. There is also an additional website
running on the server using an Access 97 database as the backend (the
shopping cart application we are using is AbleCommerce).

We haven't been able to pinpoint the source of the memory leak. We don't
know if it has to do with AbleCommerce and Access 97, the .asp or .cfm
connections to the Oracle database, or simply some other memory leak problem
between Win2K and CF.

If anyone has any experience or practical suggestions on how to fix the low
memory error, your knowledge would be greatly appreciated. As it stands
right now, we end up having to reboot our Web Server every Monday morning to
avoid the low memory error which eventually shuts down the server if it is
not caught in time.

Thanks,

Debbie McDaniel
Sr. Web Developer