That is an obtuse answer to a complex problem.

is a security threat because it will run a virus.

Tell him that Outlook creates internet worms and should
not be used. Tell him that webpages have cross scripting
exploits and shouldnt be used.

There is an inherent amount of risk in anything. The ICQ
protocol used to be rather unsecure. But.. ICQ/AIm/Whatever
dont allow for arbitrary execution of code. Maybe someone
can impersonate you but its not an actual threat to your
systems stability at all. There are no common exploits
that can really cause any harm to your system for any messenging
client.

Woe to AOL of ICQ or AIM were to actually have holes
like that. They market ICQ as a tool businesses can use
to coloborate. A security threat, probably not.

Nothing is ever definite but it is a pretty safe bet that
ICQ,AIM/Xyz IM client isnt a true security hazard.

Jeremy Allen
elliptIQ Inc.