From: Kay Smoljak [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2001 10:39 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: cfm-resources?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone else was having problems with free accounts at
cfm-resources.com? First my password stopped working, and when I got no
response to repeated emails, I gave up and signed up for another
account.
(Incidently, after a number of errors were thrown in the registration
scripts, I ended up with three accounts but that's a different story.)

Attempts to FTP in are successful after on average three or four
timeouts.
Everytime I do actually manage to connect, it timeouts before I can
upload
any files. The site itself takes ages to load and then I get server
errors.
The cfm-resources control panel is not even up.

Now, before you tell me that you get what you pay for, I totally agree.
I'm
developing a site for a non-profit organisation with next to zero
funding,
which promotes science and technology career paths for high school
students,
girls in particular. The aim is to create a site that they can update
and
maintain themselves, thereby requiring no more funding for web work. My
plan
being, if I can get the site running on the free hosting service, and
they
see how great and easy it is and maybe interest some benefactors, I will
get
them to move to one of the low cost hosting services. Hell, I was even
planning to pay for some of it myself. I'm not expecting great
reliability
or speed out of a free service. But at the moment *I* can't even view
the
site, and it's been like that all week.

What I would like to know is, what is the reliability like on their paid
accounts? I'd be reluctant to risk them after my experiences with the
free
service. What are the other low cost hosting services out there like?

Sorry to bitch but this is driving me insane!

Kay.