Zac,

I am in App Dev working on an Intranet, and www.FinishLine.com is handled by
E-Commerce Department (and out sourced). It costs us to do anything to our
E-Commerce site. I brought up the fact that all the dead links coming from
AOL will have an affiliate ID; we should be able to get a report based on
that. But, no. Not enough resources to make this happen. So I suggested that
I could put together a quick application to generate a report like the
Director of E-Commerce wants (and e-mail it to him). He was impressed. This
application will help the credibility of CF in our environment. I don't have
access to the log files. I strongly agree that the log files are the best
place to go, they would tell us the pages that are bad, and how many hits
they are receiving for those bad products.

Dick,

A dead link looks like
http://www.finishline.com/productDisplay.asp?catid=0&deptid=0&VendStyle=0315
7CI&ColorID=WHT&AffilID=AOL499 .

The links are dead because the site only displays "In Stock" items. Again, I
had nothing to do with this, and have no way to change it.
The above link is an example of a link supplied by us to AOL, linking to our
site.
The product pages are DB generated, dynamically. It is a timing problem, our
site is always updated to "In Stock" levels, and AOL's site is updated at
most every 24 hours. AOL has dictated that an update will take 24 hours. In
actuality, it might take around ten hours.

Per my suggestion, we are looking into if we can send AOL a trickle (every
so often) file of our "out of stock" items that were in the feed they are
using (in order for them to delete them). We are also looking into
anticipating what links will be dead by the end of the life cycle for the
AOL feed (based on inventory levels and product demand) so we can just not
include those in the AOL feed.

Not to be too hard, because I know I need help and understanding (I'm the
only CF developer in a VB 6 environment) - all these remedies are well and
good, but he wants to know how big of a problem this is before he decides
what to do. I told him I could help. I've got a solution that will work in
our current situation, but is there a better way?

Thanks,

Paul