From: Marc Edwards [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 08 June 2001 20:25
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: OT BUT URGENT: IIS stability

Hmm. Quite honestly, from my experience, having a stable IIS deployment
seems largely a matter of luck, and is subject to your particular recipe
of
Service pack versions, configuration options, the choice of IIS packages
you
have installed (I remember on particular system where installing the
html
web/ftp server administration option caused HUGE problems), peripherals
and
drivers on the machine, and the server hardware itself. I've experienced
systems that run for months without trouble, and others that need
redoing
every few months, even though they have the same software, installed
from
the same set of CD's, on identical models of computers ordered at the
same
time from the same manufacturer!

My suggestion to you is just to rebuild the sucker, and not waste time
trying to pinpoint the source of the trouble, as in most cases you
probably
won't find it. Then when you've got a nice clean and reliable install up
and
running, DON'T TOUCH IT!! Don't try to add any  other pieces of software
that server, just let it be your web/app server and nothing else.

You might also want to consider migrating to Win2K. From what I've seen
in
the few months I've been using it in production type environments (we
waited
for a respectable time to give time for the worst bugs to be identified
and
sorted out, which is a practice I stick to religiously and unreservedly
recommend to anyone deploying on ANY and every new Microsoft product or
new
version release) it seems to be considerably less finicky.

These views may seem a bit extreme to some people, but since I'm one of
the
guys that needs to mobilise at 3AM , on weekends or on public holidays
if
something goes wrong, I have good reasons for having them......