| > 1.  We have a web app that will be used by many, many people.  We
| > would like
| > to host this app on a cluster of servers.  The catch is, we want
| > everyone to
|
| Is it one company per box? Or multiple? If it's one company per box, then
| just use the same DNS name and point to the a different db on your db
server
| for each company.

I'm not sure I understand.  Let me try to explain again.  We have an app.  1
machine isn't going to be able to handle 1000 companies using that app.  So,
we have a cluster of, say, 5 machines and 1 database server.  Any company
can hit any machine in the cluster depending on when they show up.  Right
now, we are using a different DNS for each company.  Since they could hit
and of the 5 machines, we would need to have all 1000 DSNs on all 5
machines.  This doesn't sound like the best idea.  A single DSN where we can
pass the name of the database file to access would be much better, but I'm
having trouble getting this to work.  Is it even possible?

| If it's multiple companies, then use DNS connections. This is possible in
| CF5.

I don't follow this statement.  Also, what if we don't have 5.0 yet?

| > 2.  We want people who want to use the app to be able to sign up for it
on
| > the web site and begin using it almost immediately, without any
| > intervention
| > on our part.  Signing up for the app requires that the sign up program
| > creates some folders and registry entries on each server in the
| > cluster.  Is
|
| First, I'd _strongly_ consider rethinking your strategy. Why do you want
| use the registry?

To create the DSN entries.

| Why do you want to make physical paths?

We need to create a folder on the image server for each company to store
their images in.  I can see a way to do this, so this isn't much of a
problem.

| If you want each client to be able
| to do, www.myapp.com/companyname,
| then use something like