uh huh  :)

Billy Cravens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 09/13/2001 10:11:28 AM

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To:   CF-Talk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
cc:

Subject:  RE: CFUPDATE vs. UPDATE

I'm not sure about performance issues, but from a logic standpoint, I'd
recommend always using a full UPDATE statement.  For a straight
modification of data from a simple form, CFUPDATE seems adequate.

However, this limits what you can do:
- limited server-side validation
- limited to one table

Some disadvantages:
- forces your form to expose information about your database

I acknowledge that CF is all about saving time, and CF<SQL> tags tend to
be faster (to code) than raw SQL.  However, the biggest problem I see is
that developers use them as a crutch - you find yourself trying to shape
your logic so that CFUpdate will work - which you should never do.  Your
logic drives your code, not the other way around.

---
Billy Cravens
Web Development, EDS
[EMAIL PROTECTED]