Google does not charge for search engine listings, as suggested below.  You
can buy ads on google that use the keywords, but they do not effect the
rankings in the engine one bit.  In google's creators are very strongly
opposed to such practices, I don't think you will ever have to pay for
listings in google.

I've done a lot of research about google, and the way google does sort its
search results is a combination of a PageRank, and the IR score.

PageRank is defined as a recurrence that is completely dependant on the
backwards links (links on other peoples sites, pointing to yours to your
page. The number of links on a page that links to you mitigates your
PageRank.  A link to your page will have the best impact on your page rank
if, the page linking to you has a high page rank, and the total number of
links of that site is low.  A site with a high PageRank and a large number
of outbound links can nullify its effect on your page rank.  Since each
backward link’s PageRank/Total Links is summed, your PageRank cannot be
lowered by a link, and is always increased slightly by each backward link
your page has.

The IR score is based on keyword placement on your site font sizes, title
text, meta info, and text inside links, linking to your page.

If you focus on improving your page rank (finding site to link to you) you
will get more hits from google, and from the sites that link to you.

Pete Freitag ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
CFDEV.COM
ColdFusion Developer Resources
http://www.cfdev.com/