Word docs are binary files and CF isn't too hot at handling binary data from
databases. You'll probably have to use some sort of custom tag (Java or C++)
to return the binary data to the browser with the appropriate headers or
write it to a temp file and use CFCONTENT in the manner indicated by Mark
(albeit with the deletefile attribute set to yes) to grab the tmp file and
serve it. Alternatively, you could store the documents as RTF which is
purely textual and then have CF return that in the usual manner, using
CFCONTENT to supply the appropriate mime header to the output stream.

Steve