Aidan:

Frankly I am not surprised you are having trouble.... Reports can put a
serious load on the CF interpreter. Some questions to ask are: Are you
using SQL Server and making full use of its power with views (and
calculated columns?), stored procedures, triggers, etc.. Have you
considered or have you already created a separate, (repeat separate) OLAP
database strictly for reporting? It sounds like you may also have already
done this, but have you considered dividing the reports into "regularly
viewed" and "must be on-the-fly"? For "regularly viewed" the user could
enter their preferred parameters, if any are required, into a database that
will store them for use with scheduled reports that could be run in low
traffic times and saved to a pick-up location, as, say, pdfs.

There is nothing inherent to cflocating and cfhttp that should take
forever..... As a rule, CF does not handle complex reporting jobs well...
it is designed to glue things together..... make the work happen elsewhere
(for best results)... not meaning to tell you something you already know...
sorry if any of this sounds like bad news to you.

regards,

Patrick