No, you're correct, it should be the server-side path and not the path from
the client.

How are you getting the "E:WINNTTEMPACF123.gif" below?  What do
CFFILE.ServerDirectory and CFFILE.ServerFile show after the upload?

I'm not aware, right at hand, of any specific problems with CF+MACs+IE,
myself.  We do file uploads for several applications and haven't had that
particular problem reported (doesn't mean that someone didn't see it and was
just lazy about reporting, though).

Regards,
Joel Parramore