Perhaps you could use the CFSCHEDULE tag to programmatically schedule a job
to run ("soon") which generates the file and sends the email?  Then the page
that the user sees will be done as soon as the job is scheduled (should be
quick).  Though some people hate CFSCHEDULE and I haven't used it much.

http://www.technocraft.com