I've never tried using cfml.exe directly --- you'll have to let me know h
ow
that works.

You could write your CF templates and use the CF Administrator to run
scheduled tasks to carry them out, or run them using a browser directly.
Or, getting even more baroque, use Perl to make a HTTP request to your CF
templates on your server...

Perl provides a fairly decent database interface using the DBI module ---
what database features (as regards file handling) do you miss compared to
ColdFusion?  (I'm just curious... I'm not *trying* to start a huge Perl
versus CF discussion... I tend to use both CF and Perl as needed... :-)

Regards,
Joel Parramore