From: Mike Alberts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 7:46 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: SOT: Is the Netscape browser still a consideration?

I just had to get in on this one .......

While there really isn't much debating that the browser war is over (which
is as much Netscape's fault for releasing junk as it is Microsoft's for
predatory practices), IMHO anyone that doesn't account for some 4.x version
of Netscape when developing sites (intranets aside of course) is just being
lazy and not doing their job. Those of us that have been developing for a
fair amount of time have been fighting with this since day one. It's called
site usability.

We as developers I think tend to get tunnel vision. Just because we are
technically adept we think that the average person is as well. The reality
is that the average joe on the web just wants to read his email, find a good
deal on Ebay, do a little research on products, and keep up with his/her
favorite hobbies, and read the latest news. And he/she is doing it on a 56k
modem. They don't care if they have the latest and greatest browser. What
they have is working (as far as they know), and they don't want to wait for
4 hours to download the latest piece of bloatware.

I for one am all for standards. It would be great if we didn't have this
mess to deal with. But then there's reality. The reality is we have had to
deal with this for years, and it isn't going away for awhile. While it is
part of our job description to keep up with technology, the average person
just doesn't want to deal with the headaches. There are millions of people
still using older browsers at 800x600 (and even 640x480) resolution. If
developers spent a little more time making their sites usable for the
average person, instead of incorporating all this Flash and fancy imagery
and DHTML and all this other stuff that people don't want to wait 5 minutes
to download, the web would be a better place for everyone. Granted, these
things have their place, and their time will come, but not until the average
user is using something a little better than a simple dialup connection. And
I don't see that happening anytime too soon. People just want to find their
information, they don't want to wait all day for it to download, and they
want it to be viewable with the browser they are using. not the one the
developer tells them they need.

The internet worked fine when it was a bunch of geeks writing basic HTML,
and just because the world of print and multimedia designers on their
Macintosh computers decided that we could do all this fancy design and Flash
and all this other wiz bang stuff doesn't mean that it's necessarily the
right thing to do.

My .02, and sorry for ranting

Mike Alberts

> Tue, 19 Feb 2002 22:42:59 -0500
> From: "Rey Bango" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: SOT: Is the Netscape browser still a consideration?
>
> For the longest time, I've coded my sites to take into account Netscape
> users but with the ever-dwindling numbers of Navigator afficianados and
IE's