How about something like this at the end of the page
<script language="JavaScript1.2">
  var aExists = 0;
  function checkForApplet(thisApplet)
  {
    if(aExists != 1)
    {
      if(thisApplet)
      {
        aExists = 1;
        break();
      }
    }
  }
</script>
<script language="JavaScript1.2">
  setInterval("checkForApplet('appletName')",3000);
</script>

David DiPietro
Systems Developer / Engineer
OSU College of Medicine & Public Health