Interesting questions.

>From my perspective (if anyone cares :>), the capability to have tag based
functions (i.e. being able to return recordsets and such from a function)
puts CFMX on par with languages like Visual Basic.  The use of CFCs (which
are basically functions other applications can call - as I understand them)
would be somewhat equivalent to using DLLs to encapsulate common logic.

With that in mind, then future development in CF will likely follow a path
similar to Visual Basic, C/C++, Perl, etc.  That doesn't necessarily help
any CF coders who do not have experience in other (desktop and/or
client/server) languages.  I can see these people having a bit more of a
difficult time - and I'm sure a new Fusebox like methodology will come
along, or Fusebox will grow to handle this to some degree.

For me, the bottom line is that there is very little change in the
development process.  1) understand what the application is supposed to do
(i.e. a requirements document), 2) analyse the data required, where to get
it, how to manage it, 3) prototype an interface, 4) develop an
"architecture" (what are the core functions, where are they placed, how do
you call them, etc.), 5) Write the code to make the interface work as
expected (which includes all the "behind the scenes" code.

This method is the way I've been taught, and have seen it in action
professionally.  If followed, the projects flow nicely.  If ignored, the
projects tend to get delayed and have other issues.  And this method applies
to C/C++ projects, VB projects, Web projects, or any other development
project.  So, as I said, I see little in the way of change for me.  I just
have to spend some time to learn how these new CFMX features work, and when
to apply them (which would apply to step 4 above).

That said, it'll be interesting to see how things develop.  I'll be watching
the list, and learning what I can.

Shawn Grover