> Lets say I have a form field on a page. When I type in it, I
> want what I have typed to be sent to the server and something
> done to it. THe result of that something will come back to me
> and be loaded into a different form field. This should be done
> without reloading the page.
> Normally, I'd do this with a hidden frame and some javascript.
> I've been asked to do it some other way using layers, objects
> or other stuff. I'm researching it but I might as well ask if
> anyone here has heard of something in this area.

To avoid a hidden frame, you can use a gif "datapipe":

http://depressedpress.com/DepressedPress/Content/ColdFusion/Essays/GIFAsPi
pe/

(watch the wrap)

See the link there for "Vlad's Talking Server" (a little chat app) to see
how to bring form contents back to the page in a cookie.

Ron Hornbaker
President/CTO
  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  http://humankindsystems.com
  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  w e  c o d e.  w e  c a r e.

Books just wanna be FREE! http://www.BookCrossing.com