<cfset variables.my_var = "query.column">

Am I setting my variable to the two words seperated by a period,
query.column? or to a variable query.column?
<<

The first.  If you wanted to set myVar to a variable query.column, don't use
quotes.  (Either way, the period should be a _ or some such.)

SO,

<cfset variables.myVar = "query_column">
myVar = the string "query_column"

<cfset variables.myVar = query_column>
sets the variable variables.myVar to some other variable, namely,
query_column if it exists and throws an error if it doesn't.

-Craig Thomas