>>I was wondering if there is a way automatically using a table to do the
following and if so, how?<<

I have used (something like) the following to get how ever many columns I
want columns.

x = number of columns desired;

                        <cfoutput query="getProducts">      //could be loop

                                YOUR CONTENT HERE

        <cfif getProducts.CurrentRow mod x eq 0>        //that would make this loop
count

        <cfelse>
        </cfif>

</cfoutput>