I've found in the past that is one of the (if not the only...) good
arguments for the use of application variables.  Have an application
variable defaulted to 30 minutes or so, then put code in application.cfm
that looks for "url.setCacheTime" or something like that.

<cfparam name="application.cacheTime" default="#createTimeSpan(0,0,30,0)#">

<cfif isdefined("url.setCacheTime")>
        <cflock...>
        <cfset application.cacheTime =
createTimeSpan(0,0,url.setCacheTime,0)>
        </cflock>
</cfif>

Then just make sure all your queries use the application variable.

Bryan Love
  Macromedia Certified Professional
  Internet Application Developer
  Database Analyst
Telecommunication Systems
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"...'If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have
peace'..."
        - Thomas Paine, The American Crisis