Your example should work, but I've always had trouble changing the session
timeout.

Just keep track of it manually instead.

Put this in application.cfm:

        <cfapplication name="someappname"
                       sessionmanagement="Yes"
                       setclientcookies="Yes">

<cfif Internal_Network >
        <cfset timeoutMinutes = 480>
<cfelse>
        <cfset timeoutMinutes = 60>
</cfif>

<cfparam name="session.timeStamp" default="#now()#">

<cfif dateDiff("n",session.timeStamp,now()) GT timeoutMinutes>
        expire the session
        relocate to login page
</cfif>

Bryan Love
  Macromedia Certified Professional
  Internet Application Developer
  Database Analyst
Telecommunication Systems
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"...'If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have
peace'..."
        - Thomas Paine, The American Crisis