Probably not much help - but in the least you can check the refering site with
#CGI.referer# and it if contains paypal.com or something - you can say thanks or
- please pay through paypal. But that assumes they are paying through paypal and
coming right back.

And of course - paypal did come up with some tools - View this link
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/xcl/rec/ipn-intro-outside

THey will send you a verified response from their servers containing specific
information at which time you check and can welcome the customer back securely.

Enjoy
jay miller