Okay in that case you need to write a javascritp function that will write to
a hidden field the name (or an id) of results clicked on. The results need
to be wrapped in <a><a/> tags with no href but an onclick event which calls
a function which adds the name or id of the results to the list in the
hidden field. You may also want to check if the field is already in the list
and remove it if the user selects it again, finally when the form is
submmited you'll need to go through the list submmited in the hidden field
to determine which results have been selected.

In my opinion I dont think checkboxes are messy, just make sure you're boss
is aware that this solution will only work with browsers where javascript is
enabled, so thats the trade off.

Hope that makes sense if not let me know and i'll try to expand on it more.

Kola